Links can be added in the Deal, Contact, Appointment, and Task forms with the spirit of linking anything-to-anything. For example, a Deal could have links to several key contacts, a proposal document, the customer's homepage, a task to refine the proposal, and an appointment to present the proposal.
Types of Links
- Web page: link to a web page
- File: link to a file on your computer. This is a link like c:\Documents and Settings\Wilson Pickett\My Documents\Example.doc
- Deal: link to a deal within the pipeline
- Contact: link to a task within the pipeline
- Appointment: link to an appointment within your calendar
- Task: link to a task within your task list
A link is broken when one end of the link - the target - disappears for some reason. For example, a link from a deal to a document on your PC becomes broken if the document is deleted. Since appointments and tasks are not a part of a pipeline file, a link between a contact and a task can be broken if the pipeline file is moved to another computer while the target task remains behind. A broken link is not serious or fatal - it is something closer to a warning - "not available at this moment". So the "state" of a link can be:
- Unknown: the state of this link has not yet been determined - it has not been checked.
- Verified: has been checked and is a valid link to an item
- Failed: has been tested and the link target does not exist
- Untested: A link to a web page is not checked by this program
You can check the state of your links through the Verify State button below your list of links. Each link will be checked and the State column reflects the state of each link. Again, web page links are not checked... Open link: Website
- Description: Enter a description of the webpage link or choose from the pre-defined descriptions.
- Website/URL: Enter or copy/paste the url from your web browser
- Test: Opens the website/URL in a browser
Open Link: Website
Opening the website link opens the link in a browser.
Add Link: Document
- Description: Enter a description of the document or choose from the pre-defined descriptions.
- File Name: Enter or use Browse to select the file you wish to have linked
- Browse: Opens a file selection dialog
Linking to a document does not include or copy the document into your pipeline file. It is a link the file's location on your computer. If your pipeline is moved to another computer, or the file is moved or deleted then the link will be broken.
Open Link: Document
Opening the document link attempts to open the document using the web browser. In a surprising number of cases this opens the document in a very readable format.
Add Link: Contacts, Deals, Tasks, Appointments
A list of the current items is displayed. You may choose more than one item using either shift or ctrl. A link will be created for each item selected.
Open Link: Contacts, Deals, Tasks, Appointments
The linked item will be opened in an Edit form.